Happy International Women’s Day!
Here at GottaBe! we are taking a moment to celebrate women everywhere, with a particular shoutout to the ladies at Team GottaBe! who are brilliant every single day. We are proud to say that 58% of our Brand Ambassadors are female and half of our Head Office team are too!
Our Short List For International Women’s Day
To celebrate, Team GottaBe! has put together a short list of some of the women in the world whom have inspired us:
- Queen Elizabeth II – Her Majesty is the world’s longest reigning monarch, being coronated at only 25. The Queen has partaken in public duties during the Second World War, spearheaded the Commonwealth and reigned during major political changes.
- Florence Nightingale – The Lady with the Lamp, as she is often referred, is known for her pioneering of nursing and the resulting change in nursing roles for women in healthcare.
- Greta Thunberg – At only 17, Greta Thunberg has become one of the most influential figures in the discussion of climate change and subsequently inspired countless people, globally, to be more mindful of their carbon footprint and how they can live more sustainably in order to better the planet.
- Madonna – The Queen of Pop, Madonna has been creating chart-topping music since the 1980’s, and is showing no signs of stopping there. Often a talking point of controversy for her music’s topics, Madonna has pushed the boundaries with her commentary on religion, politics and female empowerment. Despite what critics may say, this hasn’t inhibited Madonna’s record sales, having sold over 300 million, making her the best selling female recording artist of all time.
- Frida Kahlo – Mexican painter Frida Kahlo is one of the most famous artists associated with women and female empowerment, thanks to her self-portraiture that would often look at self-image, society, gender and class, to name a few topics. Her work has led to her becoming iconic and influential in the Chicanos, feminism and LGBTQ+ movements.
- Michelle Obama – American lawyer and writer, Michelle Obama is likely more known as the former First Lady of the United States. During her tenure as First Lady, Obama served as a role model and worked as an advocate for education, poverty awareness, nutrition and healthier lifestyles, all contributing towards making her one of the most loved First Ladies.
- Oprah – A media executive, actress, television host, television producer and philanthropist, Oprah is a truly unstoppable force. Credited with changing the way that talk shows operated, Oprah brought a more intimate feel to the medium before utilising the show’s platform to cover spirituality, literature, mindfulness and self-improvement.
- Martyna Wojciechowska – Television presenter, journalist, mountaineer, traveller, sportswoman and writer, Martyna Wojciechowska has had a very outdoorsy career. Having spent part of her career hosting a show sharing the lives of women from all over the world, Wojciechowska has really worked towards sharing the beauty of the world and its people with viewers. In more recent times, she has been appointed as the Editor-in-Chief of National Geographic Poland.
- Emmeline Pankhurst – Political activist, Emmeline Pankhurst, is best remembered for leading the UK’s suffragette movement and helping women to gain the right to vote. Her work and tactics to achieve the aforementioned goals have been heavily criticised throughout history but Pankhurst must be given the credit and respect that she deserved for leading the suffragettes in working towards – and ultimately – more equal rights for women in the UK.
- Spice Girls – With over 85 million records sold worldwide, the Spice Girls are the best-selling girl group of all time. Often hailed as the faces of the 1990’s Cool Britannia movement. Ginger, Scary, Sporty, Posh and Baby Spice have become synonymous with the concept of ‘girl power’ thanks to their use of the phrase, fun energy and encouragement of female empowerment.
There’s so many other inspiring women who we would love to include in the list, but we may be here all week. With that said we couldn’t end the post without including the mothers of Team GottaBe!. They not only brought us into this world but they have played a big part in who we are and for that, we cannot thank them enough!
Here’s to Girl Power!